HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS AND ENGAGEMENT
Salary: Salary: £65k – £75k (depending on experience)
Location: Wales – at present we do not have a physical office and are all working remotely. Once restrictions ease, we will discuss with our staff any potential blended models of home and office/hub working. We will continue to support remote working where needed.
Term: Fixed term contract to March 2022. We are seeking to secure future funding for CDPS from April 2022 onwards and the role may be extended.
This role is available as a secondment for Welsh public sector employees. Please follow your own organisation’s policy around informing and getting permission from line managers.
Closing date: 26th April
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable.
Applications may be submitted in Welsh and will not be judged less favourably than those submitted in English.
About the Centre for Digital Public Services (CDPS)
Here to deliver better public services that work for everyone the Centre for Digital Public Services is an arms-length body of Welsh Government setup to enable and support digital transformation of public services in Wales.
We work with colleagues across the public sector in Wales to deliver services that are accessible to everyone and ensure the people that design and deliver the services have the skills, capability and support they need.
We’re creating a blended team of digital experts made up of permanent staff, fixed term appointments, secondments from the Welsh public sector and suppliers to work together to deliver our aims.
This role is about engaging the public sector in Wales and creating conversations. It’s about sharing knowledge and bringing people together to deliver better services.
Reporting to the Chief Executive of the Centre, you’ll lead our communications and engagement. We’re committed to working in the open and you’ll be a part of making that happen. You and your team will help us share progress, learning and plans, and encourage feedback and conversation.
This is a brand new role, meaning you’ll build and lead a small team of comms professionals who will provide support and content to the public sector in Wales. You’ll be a key part of the Centre’s leadership team and part of creating the direction for the Centre and Digital in Wales.
What You’ll Do
- Provide direction and leadership for our internal and external communications, brand, reputation and engagement.
- Lead, motivate, inspire and develop a multi-disciplinary team
- Deliver the Centre’s internal and external communications including digital communications, content, Welsh language, media and events.
- Own and deliver against CDPS’ communication strategy.
- Provide effective communications advice to the Chief Executive of the Centre and wider leadership team
- Plan and deliver against CDPS’ communication priorities and plans, reporting progress to the CDPS leadership team.
- Build trusted relationships across public sector organisations in Wales
- Own the corporate communications standards, approach and platforms including ways of working, brand guidelines and evaluation approach.
- Act as the CDPS brand guardian advocating the brand and ambitions in all communications activities
- Provide strategic overview to spot opportunities to advance CDPS’ communications objectives and identify and manage risks.
- Provide 24/7 press office service when required
- Manage contracts with external companies who support the work of the team adhering in full to with the organisation’s procurement rules.
- Manage and develop CDPS’ communication channels, including web, blog, social media events, and media
Who You Are
An experienced comms leader you’ll have worked in the public sector and with digital teams. You’ll have a flair for engaging people with excellent content, using the right channels for the right audiences. You’ll understand the challenges of digital and how to build cultures that support transformation and change
We want to hear from people with skills in:
- Communications leadership, management and strategy.
- Leading communications in complex, high profile change programmes
- Implementing measurement criteria, evaluating success and iterating to improve outcomes
- Working through complexity, for instance in a large organisation or with a large group of stakeholders
- Communications strategy, planning and delivery, evaluation, stakeholder management and channel and message management
- Confident communication: able to persuade; negotiate; influence; network; and collaborate
- Getting to the heart of an issue, demonstrating expert knowledge in an applied setting
- Understanding of the political and social landscape of Wales
You Should Be
- Naturally curious and able to champion your own learning and development
- A champion of building better public services based on the needs of users.
- Positive about working with colleagues and stakeholders across the public sector in Wales to raise capability and understanding around digital, user centred service design and the culture these approaches bring.
- Proactive and will take the initiative rather than to see a problem and ignore it
- Committed to improving digital public services in Wales
- Alert to opportunities to improve our teams, tools and processes
We are passionate about creating a diverse workforce and positively encourage applications from under-represented communities. We embrace equality of opportunity irrespective of disability, neurodivergence, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, gender and gender presentation, marital status, sexual orientation, Welsh language choice, culture and religion.
- Generous holiday entitlement – 28 days annual leave plus public holidays
- 37.5-hour week for all full-time team members
- Flexible working policy
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter to support your application.
The covering letter should be no more than two sides of A4. Please provide evidence in the letter of your suitability for the role, explain why you are interested in the position and where you saw the job advertised.
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com
Closing date: 26th April