Improving maternity services with digital records
The Digital Maternity Cymru programme will help to deliver digital maternity records for clinicians and for people using maternity services across Wales.
The team are carrying out research with clinicians and for people who use maternity services. The research will help us to understand:
- the experiences of women that could be at an increased risk of negative health outcomes
- the experiences of women who are more likely to experience digital exclusion
Doing this helps us to start finding ways to improve the overall service.
The problem we’re solving
Currently the maternity service in Wales relies heavily on paper-based clinical records.
Introducing digital maternity records can improve maternity services by:
- enabling better reporting of outcome data
- enabling women to be a partner in their care
- reducing the time spent on duplicating data
- making sure records are available for all the professionals who need them to provide care
- creating consistency across Wales
A multidisciplinary team set up by Digital Health and Care Wales are delivering the programme.
Team members from CDPS are working on service design and user research.