Communities of practice
“Communities of practice are groups of people who share a concern or passion for something that they do – and they learn how to do it better as they interact regularly”Etienne Wenger
Our communities of practice are an opportunity for people from different disciplines and organisations, in Wales and beyond, to:
- meet regularly to share knowledge and experience and to discuss ideas
- form networks to support professional development and practices such as recruitment and mentoring
Content Design Cymru
This community brings together people who design content so that they can help and support each other to do their work and tell others why content design is important.
Building Bilingual Services
How to build a service that works equally well in 2 languages, such as Welsh and English? Why getting it right involves more than just translation.
Other communities of practice
National and international groups
- There is a cross-gov design community set up by UK central government.
- For content people, there is a content club with regular meet-ups and a Slack channel you can join.
- UX Wales is a meetup group in Wales for all user experience and user experience curious people.
- Design Swansea is a free monthly social event for creatives, businesses and students with guest speakers, workshops and more.
- There are a few Slack channels worth joining. These are great online spaces to meet other people doing similar roles across government, ask questions and learn:
Local government user-centred design communities and networks
- Welsh Local Government Association host a handful of user-centred communities, including a service design community and a content design community. To find out more, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is also a dedicated local government Slack channel
Please get in touch if you:
- are already part of a community of practice involved in public service delivery in Wales
- would like to discuss starting a new community of practice